Sunday, September 22, 2013

Why should we follow local panchangam(calendar)?

This post is intended gnrlly for people who are living outside India.  Other curious readers might also read it.

I believe in understanding the underlying principles rather than just following.   I thought about this first time when I went to Germany and had to do a pooja based on some time.  I downloaded the panchangam from himalayanacademy website.  I also cross verify with the calendars on the local temple website.

Panchangam is the local calendar which has the details about a day like the sunrise, sunset,  star, thithi.  Lot of important events are based on the thithi.   I have seen most of the people living abroad to follow the calendar from India as such.   It is not right.  

Few reasons!
  • Based on the place, the sunrise and sunset time is going to be different.  This changes many things.
  • Thithi is going to start at the same time as India which means if Ekadasi starts at 7 pm(IST) on a day then it starts at 6.30AM (PST).  
Sources:

1.  Download panchangam for your place from Himalayan academy website
2.  Verify with the temple calendar of your area

Conflict resolution:

1. Once Ekadasi was spanning across 2 days, Gnrlly to do the vratham, EKADASI thithi should have been there with the sunrise

2.  Dwadasi should be there the following day until 10AM or so.

I hope this post clarifies the doubts.  If not, let me know.  I will try to correct my presentation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment